What's this all about?

A new adventure beckons, and this is once again about my personal journey to make it happen.

It might make you laugh; it might make you cry, but by 'eck lads and lasses, it will be worth a quick skeg every now and then, tha's for sure.

Friday 11 February 2011

What are the stories behind the story?

Good evening and welcome to the start of the weekend.

Well the last time I went to the gym was Sunday so after a 3-trip weekend last weekend when my abs and shoulders ached (which I bizarrely enjoyed) I've been so 'busy' this week I haven't been back. Uh-oh, 'Dora the Explorer' at work will be giving me hell for that! I'm back in the gym tomorrow and Sunday though so I'll no doubt pay the price by Monday morning.

So a strange week in many ways and although a great chat with Alison (Al') on Monday night and night out to see Spamalot on Wednesday were real highlights, today has been nothing short of inspiring; let me explain and let me explain the title of this e-mail.

Having had the luxury of an extra 90 minutes in bed this morning I was fresh for a trip back to my old Comprehensive school @ Boston Spa. I'd written to them several weeks ago offering to link-up regarding any educational opportunities my trip and the prep for it offered and they kindly said "Come and talk to us ... you idiot". Weeeell ok maybe the tone in their voice implied the last two words but today my contact, Colin Martin, did basically ask if I was bonkers. Hmm a common theme in recent conversations I must say.

Anyway we agreed there was real food for thought with their Science department (they think they'd like me to take a GPS and a thermometer USB to let them track my progress), and maybe Geography and Sports Departments also getting involved too.  Promising stuff with lots more to discuss.

After that it was an hours drive to Sheffield to first meet up with Marc Rocca of Rocca Creative (congrats on the proposed house move to you all) and swap thoughts, stories and laughter ... what a great bloke he is as well as a creative guru ..... and then it was Sue from Sheffield Hallam University. I knew Sue from her time as a Team Co-Ordinator at Freemans call centre in Sheffield but she is now an Educational Developer and is currently working with the Journalism students to develop multi-media online news blogs.

LOTS of ideas from Sue and whilst we'll see what we can develop I am very excited about the possible links through her and the students. Maybe even the Sports Science students could get involved but I'm especially keen on a strap-line that popped into my head during the chat; 'what are the stories behind the story?'

After all a guy going to the North Pole to raise money for charity is a story, but there is a richness behind that headline of so many other stories. Wonder if they (and others) will tap into them for that's where the depth and 'hooks' lie in my humble opinion?

After Sheffield I was back up north, back to Leeds, to meet Sara Benson from the Muscular Dystrophy Campaign; what a fabulous session she and I had and what a wonderfully pro-active individual she is. So many ideas were generated, and I had the chance to meet Brian (the Chairman for Yorkshire & Humberside region). That conversation created a myriad of thoughts that are going through my brain about possible sponsors:  37 or more thoughts and ideas to persue. (Al' if you're reading this, I need your brain as well as your organisational skills !!!)

Again, with Sara, the new PR strap-line; 'what are the stories behind the story?' came through loud and clear. Guess the question is, how many of the stories behind the story do I really want to share? Hmmm.

And so now to chill-out; some rare 'me' time this week in what has been a fun but draining week. Long may they continue.

No comments:

Post a Comment