What's this all about?

A new adventure beckons, and this is once again about my personal journey to make it happen.

It might make you laugh; it might make you cry, but by 'eck lads and lasses, it will be worth a quick skeg every now and then, tha's for sure.

Thursday 30 June 2011

Early to bed, pain and a wave across the road

It's only 10:08pm and here I am, back from another 3-mile tyre drag tonight and suitably fed and watered so it looks like it could be an early night which is good because I slept like a log last night after the gym but looked tired today .... according to Dora the Explorer.

So it's just a quickie tonight.

Started the drag tonight with one tyre again to maximise the distance in the time I had and it requires a much shorter warm-up for my muscles to avoid problems. In fact it was so short .... err I didn't do one so you can imagine my surprise (not) when I got a pain in the bridge of my foot and then a burning sensation in my lower calf after about 1.5 miles. That got me wondering, how would I react if I got an injury?

What would happen if my Achilles snapped or if one of the yapping dogs in the park decided to take a chunk out of my leg or if, while racing 'Grandad Vickers' down the stairs at work, he pushed me and I tripped up and broke my leg?

I think that follows on from the theme at the weekend when my Mum said she'd shown a friend and one of her neighbours the article in the Yorkshire Evening Post; one of them said he admired my courage and determination .... especially with the crevices that can appear at any time and 'woomph' you've suddenly fallen down a 200ft drop. Nice and encouraging : /

Of course that can't top the talk amongst my colleagues about some morbid bl**dy sweepstake they're planning (polar bears, thin ice or Trek lead getting whiteout madness and turning on us all seem to be the leaders at the moment). And just when you thought team spirit was dead.

The 'drag' tonight started poorly after I met a woman walking her dog. She asked what I was training for and I puffed my chest out with pride, smiled modestly and said "Oh I'm training for a trek to the North Pole next year". Well if I was expecting a sharp take of breath and a 'wow' look in her eyes I couldn't have been further from the truth. "Oh one of the blokes at work is training for that next year" she said nonchalently.

I suddenly felt like a balloon in a cactus farm, my pride popped a million times but towards the end of the drag the nicest thing happened and it's made me smile ever since. Rather than tell you about it, check out this 'special messages' video clip.



Fame ...... fame at last !!  I'm ready for my close-up now Mr deMille. Thank you whoever you are for shouting me, waving like mad and saying those encouiraging words. At least that's what I THOUGHT you shouted.

And so dear reader I'm heading to bed; busy day tomorrow at work and then got to talk to my girls over the weekend about my upcoming 50th birthday. Strange isn't it that at the age of 47 I suddenly decided to ramp up the element of adventure in my life by training to cycle across Cuba and now I'm going to go to the North Pole.

Can't WAIT for my 53rd birthday to do the next wild thing on my list !!!  Good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment