What's this all about?

A new adventure beckons, and this is once again about my personal journey to make it happen.

It might make you laugh; it might make you cry, but by 'eck lads and lasses, it will be worth a quick skeg every now and then, tha's for sure.

Tuesday 12 July 2011

Err, hang on let me do the maths

Good morning

Several weeks ago I was invited to attend the Great Yorkshire Show by the lovely Sue from Candlelighters (Harrogate branch), At first I was excited but then realised it would mean taking 3 days away from work (and therefore no income) if I went for the full duration. Sue, understanding this, offered me the choice of days and so yesterday (last minute I know) I decided to go on Wednesday this week.

Last night I began to wonder how it would all work, as I've never been to such a huge event in the capacity of fundraiser. Am I allowed out of the designated stall with my 'bucket', can I approach the other exhibitors as well as attendees, what if someone says they want to donate to one of the other 9 charities I'm going to the North Pole for?

Will I be thrown off the site, dis-owned and shamed by the kind Candlelighters team, plastered all over the front page of the local rag as a villain, begging and harassing the good citizens of Harrogate (and beyond) for money with some wild and unlikely tale of Polar exploration?

But then it came back down to earth with a more fundamental 'return on investment' question and that is if it's costing me £22 to get into the event (yes, everyone has to pay), plus fuel plus the loss of a day's income then how much money will I have to collect to be able to turn around and say it was a good business venture?

If I collect (say) £100, whilst that's ok I have to admit it would have been a better investment of my time to go to work and donate half a day's income; I would not have been out of pocket and the Polar charities would have been just as well-off.

I'll let you know how it goes. Oh and if you're coming, I'll be down Avenue 7, next to the food tent ..... no, that's where the Candlelighters stand is (cheeky) !!

No comments:

Post a Comment